Get an order of protection

To obtain an order of protection you must have a case pending in court. There are two types of places where you can get an order of protection: Criminal Court and Civil Court.

Family Court is a Civil Court.  You can go to Family Court and file a request (called a petition) for an order of protection if you and the individual who you want the order against are legally married, divorced, related by blood, have a child in common, or have been in an intimate relationship.  

An intimate relationship does not necessarily mean a sexual relationship, but is more than just a casual relationship.  This includes people who are or have been dating, living together, or have been or are in a same-sex relationship.

Get additional information on obtaining a family court order of protection.

In Criminal Court, an order of protection can be issued regardless of the relationship between you and the person you want to keep away or stop.  In order to get an order of protection in Criminal court, the person has to be arrested and there has to be a Criminal Court case going on against him.  The District Attorney’s Office will request an Order of Protection from the court on your behalf.