Report child abuse

If you know or have reasonable suspicion that a child is being abused or neglected, call the state Central Registry at 800-342-3720. In case of emergency, call 911 immediately.

If you call the State Central Registry, the city Administration for Children's Services (ACS) may assign a case worker to investigate. In certain cases of physical or sexual abuse, the case will also be forwarded to the District Attorney's Office and the Police Department's Manhattan Special Victims Squad (MSVS). Very often, the ADA assigned to the case will conduct joint interviews along with MSVS and ACS.

If the Police Department makes an arrest, the defendant will be prosecuted in Criminal Court. If the abuser is related to the child, ACS may file a simultaneous petition in Family Court. The proceeding in Family Court is a civil proceeding and does not involve criminal sanctions. A law guardian represents the child in Family Court.

For the resources we provide for Child Abuse victims, click here.