Case Management Services Defendant Property Release Unit


If Your Property Was Taken by the New York City Police Department (NYPD):

  • If the NYPD property voucher given to you at the time of arrest indicates “Arrest Evidence,” “Forfeiture” or “Investigatory,” you need to obtain a letter from the District Attorney’s Office stating it no longer needs the property as evidence in your case.

How to Make a Request to the District Attorney Office’s Property Release Unit:

  • By telephone: (212) 335-9863
  • By e-mail:
  • In person: Monday – Friday 9am-5pm (100 Centre Street, Room 785, New York, NY 10013)
  • By mail: New York County District Attorney’s Office One Hogan Place, New York, NY 10013 ATTN: Property Release Unit.
  • Through proxy/third party: must be authorized with a notarized letter.

What You Need:

  • Copy of the NYPD’s property voucher invoice
  • Proper photo identification, i.e., state ID or driver’s license
  • Telephone number
  • Arrest information, i.e., arrest number, docket number or arrest date

Once a decision has been reached, you will be notified by either telephone or in writing to the e-mail/mailing address provided.

The District Attorney’s Office does NOT provide releases for:

  • Property seized when a summons was issued. A release must be obtained from the NYPD Property Clerk, One Police Plaza, NY, NY 10038.
  • Property classified as “Peddler Property.” A release must be obtained from the Law Department, 100 Church Street, NY, NY 10007.
  • Property classified as “Safekeeping.” This property can be picked up from the NYPD Property Clerk, One Police Plaza, NY, NY 10038. Contact 646-610-5906.

A District Attorney’s release letter is not a statement by the District Attorney’s Office that you or anyone else has any possessory right to the property vouchered.