What is Elder Abuse?
Any crime or violation committed against a victim who is 60 years of age or older may be considered elder abuse.
What are some examples of elder abuse?
- Domestic abuse or neglect at the hands of a family member or caregiver
- Financial exploitation committed by a family member or relative, home aide, stranger or “professional”
- Abuse of a power of attorney by someone entrusted to act as a fiduciary
If a senior citizen has been physically abused or is in danger, call 911 immediately.
If you are a senior who has been the victim of a crime, or you know a senior citizen who has been abused or exploited, please call our Elder Abuse Unit at 212-335-9007.
In addition to investigating and prosecuting crimes against the elderly, we can also provide:
- Assistance in obtaining an Order of Protection and emergency housing
- Social service referrals to agencies that provide a variety of services to seniors